Patents, Designs, Trade Secrets, Due Diligence
Paul’s technical experience includes computer systems, virtual and augmented reality technology, image processing methods, Blockchain, Bitcoin, and related cryptography technology, AI ML technology, electromechanical devices, and medical devices.
Paul is a European Patent Attorney at TLIP. His practice includes drafting and prosecution of patent applications across a wide range of technical fields and specialises in computer implemented inventions. Paul has experience preparing grounds of opposition for submission at the EPO.
Before entering the patent profession, Paul worked in R&D for an oilfield service company designing and testing electromagnetic induction borehole logging tools. Meanwhile Paul completed his PhD in theoretical physics at Loughborough University on graphene superlattices for terahertz applications.
- BSc Physics (2:1)
- PhD Theoretical Physics
- Postgraduate Certificate in IP
- Invited to speak to postgraduate students and discuss the IP profession at Durham University (2017, 2019)
- Various technical and legal articles, particularly relating to VR and AR technology: https://www.lexology.com/22803/author/Dr_Paul_Dakers/
- Article for IP Inclusive discussing working with autism: https://ipinclusive.org.uk/newsandfeatures/world-autism-awareness-week-my-personal-experience-with-autism/
- Computer-implemented inventions;
- Virtual and augmented reality; Blockchain, Bitcoin, and cryptography and the Internet of Things;
- Electrical and electronic devices and safety mechanisms;
- Optical devices, scanning and printing devices, and image processing methods;
- Mechanical and electromechanical devices including hand trollies, medical devices, and piezoelectric sensors; and
- Green technology, including noise suppression systems and aerodynamics.
- Patent drafting and prosecution, opposition, due diligence, freedom to operate, , registered designs, IP strategy.