Patents, Trademarks, Designs, Know-how
Dr. Alex Turnbull is a founder and Director at TLIP, where he focuses on patent prosecution, strategic patent counseling, and IP due diligence in a wide range of technical fields, including computer software, optoelectronics, materials, bio-engineering, inkjet and 3D printing.
Alex studied a BSc (hons) in Astrophysics at the University of Hertfordshire which included the award of an Erasmus scholarship to study a year of Applied Physics at Dublin City University. Following his degree he was awarded a Ph.D in Astrophysics, where he investigated the evolution of elliptical shell galaxies using observational astronomy and N-body computer modelling. During his Ph.D, Alex spent many nights using optical instruments at the Isaac Newton Group of Telescopes at Roque de los Muchachos Observatory on La Palma in the Canary Islands. He was one of the first wave of astrophysicists using Sun Ultra parallel workstations to carry out complex N-body computer modelling as the team sought to recreate the observed galaxy morphology by colliding galaxies together in code.
- BSC (HONS) ASTROPHYSICS (1ST CLASS)
- PHD ASTROPHYSICS
- MSC MANAGEMENT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (UNIVERSITY OF LONDON, DISTINCTION)
- CHARTERED UK PATENT ATTORNEY
- EUROPEAN PATENT ATTORNEY
- EUROPEAN TRADE MARK AND DESIGN ATTORNEY
- Imaging of the Shell Galaxies NGC 474 and NGC 7600, and Implications for their Formation. Mon. Not, R. Astron. Soc. 307, 967-976 (1999). Turnbull, Bridges and Carter.
- Shell Formation in NGC 474. Galaxy Interactions at Low and High Redshift: Proceedings of the 186th Symposium of the International Astronomical Union held at Kyoto, Japan, 26-30 August 1997.
- Telecoms, technology and IP: sustaining competitive advantage. Intellectual Property Magazine. Turnbull and Broughton 2011.
- A picture is worth a thousand words – but is it patentable? Intellectual Property Magazine, March, 2012. Turnbull.
- Patentability and Australasia. Intellectual Property Magazine. 1 May 2012. Co-authored with Fisher Adams Kelly.
- TLIP Seminar and Workshop in Silicon Valley, USA. Turnbull presentation at Santa Clara University. TLIP news, 26 September 2014.
- No more Disunity in Europe. TLIP news, 3 October 2014.
- TLIP invited to speak in New York and Boston on Europe’s Unitary Patent System. TLIP news, 12 January 2015.
- IP for Business: Events, Guidance, Tools and Case Studies. TLIP news 3 January 2018.
- Electronics, routers, display drivers, image processing, MEMs, plastic electronics, IP protocols, semiconductors, wireless technologies, organic and inorganic display and photovoltaic devices; piezoelectric actuators; protein mass spectroscopy; microarrays; medical devices; and magnetic drive systems, construction systems, flywheels, business methods, computer software implemented inventions, fishing tackle, actuators, payment systems.
- Patent prosecution, opposition and appeals, litigation, due diligence, freedom to operate, contracts and licensing, agreements, trademark prosecution, registered designs, IP strategy.